Monday, May 18, 2009

Not just show and tell



We remember things for different reasons: perhaps out of necessity, because we are expected to, or maybe just because we want to. Each of us has certain instances- people, places, or moments, that stick out in our mind, not only because we were there, but because we experienced something on a deeper level in that interaction, and a piece of us is forever changed. A former teacher of mine in high school proudly displayed this old Chinese proverb that said, “Tell me and I’ll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I’ll understand”. I have often thought about these words and have been able to apply is message to many areas of my life and my own experiences.


How many times have we been told something? It might be directions, or instructions for what to do or where to go, how much you owe, what is expected of you, or what is needed. In fact, we are told numerous things each day. How much of this do you actually remember? Over time, we forget the insignificant and trivial.


How often are we shown something? Perhaps it is a demonstration of how something works, a directive for what you should do or how you should act—you may remember those things which you have personally participated in or have taken an interest in, but you have long forgotten those moments that did not engage you.


I can, however, look back at several “Aha” moments and recognize that those things which I understand the most are lessons learned from my engagement in and involvement with beyond surface level interaction. Those things that have most touched my life and have taught life lessons are those moments that I have connected with and have left lasting impressions on my mind and my heart. As an educator, we can tell and we can certainly show, but only by involving our students can they truly understand and be impacted. And only through this understanding and impact can we hope to impact the world and create that first ripple that just maybe might go on and make a difference.

No comments: