Monday, October 6, 2008

Four Perfect Pebbles

There is much to be learned about human nature through a study of the Holocaust-- both good and bad. It is one of the most difficult units I have ever had to teach my students, however I feel a sense of obligation to share with them all that I have learned over the many years of personal study, and hope to inspire them to seek out their own ideas and opinions. I had the honor of meeting author and Holocaust survivor Marion Blumenthal Lazan when I was just a senior in high school and heard her share her story. Marion is the first, and only survivor, that I have ever had the honor of knowing, and she is a personal inspiration of mine.
As I told the students when I introduced Marion- we can watch documentaries, we can google topics on the internet, we can read about history in our textbooks, but we rarely have a chance to sit in the same room as someone who has experienced and survived history.

Marion is both a witness to, and as a Holocaust survivor, a victim of History. Yet her message of hope, perseverance, and faith is one that is inspiring and uplifting. To shield our children from the truth- from the horrors- of the Holocaust would be a disservice to them. I think the best thing we can do is show them the truth and do our best to help them understand why and how these things happened, and how we can prevent them from occurring again.

To read the article about Marion's visit:

No comments: